Skip to main content

Barbies and Grandma


 As a little girl, my Grandma was a constant presence in my life. She lived two hours up the road but spent most holidays and many summers with us. The summer I turned 12, she moved to town and lived in a retirement home up the street. She gave up driving, so there was lots of ferrying Grandma back and forth to our house. As a junior high kid, I would spend one Saturday a month at Grandma's playing board games, eating lunch, and talking at her for hours. She knew all of my friend drama and always asked after my friends even into college and later.

Grandma had worked for the US Department of Defense, stationed in Germany, and she bought me many of my first Barbie toys. I had the 1974 Barbie Dreamhouse - complete with working elevator.



I had the 1972 Barbie Friend Ship - complete with flight attendant cart and Ken's pilot's costume.


But as much as I associate Grandma with my Barbie toys as a girl, this blog is really about a different side. Grandma liked her sweets and whenever we found a See's Candies we would ALWAYS stop and get Grandma the carmels. These were neither the rock hard Werther's nor the chewy Kraft classics. These were lollipops whose consistency was somewhere inbetween and they came in vanilla, chocolate, caramel, and butterscotch. (As a kid, I found the coffee ones horrendous. My adult-coffee-loving heart would now disagree.) I remember Grandma's excitement at bringing her a treat she remembered from her childhood (See's started during World War I. I have no idea when or where she first went to the stores, but for here in the 80s, this was a nostalgic candy.)


The See's Candy Barbie dolls came out in 1999 and 2001. Although this was at the far-end of my Barbie-collecting days, I'm happy that I have them. I find these two dolls gorgeous; they are the epitome of Barbie grace. They aren't the huge bouffant hairdos of the 80s, nor the haute couture excess of the 2000s. But it is also the company that they represent that I love. The See's Candy employees always wore the white and black-trimmed uniform and the store always looked sparklingly sleek.

The second doll is reminiscent of a late-1940s, early-1950s Chanel-inspired outfit. The wasp-waist and trim jacket scream mid-century elegance. 



Grandma was not big-city elegance. But she did have strict rules of etiquette and always expected people to look and carry themselves appropriately. There were many, many, MANY hours of dressing and playing Barbies with Grandma nearby. She had strong opinions about the dolls and the clothes which I'm sure had an impact on the person I have become. Barbie was a conversation in my household. It was not a regressive women-must-stay-at-home or a women must-be-thin-and-stylish conversation. But it was a language that permeated my childhood. That and sweets. Everyone in my family loves their sweets. Just ask anyone who knows me. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Ken-in-Roller-Skates Years Old

 This weekend a friend and I went through the clothes and the dolls that I played with as a kid (and she has an amazing memory on the clothes. This website is quite the resource if you're interested: BarbieWorld.it  ). I had A LOT of Barbies and accessories. There was the Barbie pool, the piano, the three-story townhouse. I had an RV, an airplane, and a boat. And then there were the dolls themselves. Yes, I had lots of Barbies but there were also Skippers and Midges and Christies. But today, we have to talk about Ken. This is my first Ken Doll: Roller Skating Ken c.1980. The short tight shorts, the shiny purple jacket, the Addidas style roller skates. He's so retro, what's not to love? I can't pretend to remember why six-year old me needed a Ken doll at that point. I was never as gung-ho about the guys because for me Barbie was about Fashion shows and climbing mountains, and sleepovers. But there were definitely days Ken was part of their entourage. I didn't have Ro

Barbie as Iconic Musician

 It has been in the news recently that Mattel has released Barbie as Mariah Carey and as Stevie Nicks. Both of these dolls continue a long tradition of recreating Barbie as iconic stars who will appeal to kids, to the parents who buy dolls for their kids, and to adult collectors. For what it's worth, both dolls are currently sold out on Amazon and already listed (as of November 17) on eBay for $150. The collector's market and upsale of collectibles is alive and well. This series of dolls is intended to represent role models as well as fashion icons. I have to say, this line of dolls has never appealed to me over much. There is nothing wrong with them, but I have always gotten Barbies that were not "Mattel-style-doll-recreated-to-resemble(ish)-someone-famous." When I was looking through my collection in storage last week I came across two other iconic Barbie recreations from 25 years ago. Barbie Loves Frank Sinatra and Barbie Loves Elvis. In both of these Box Sets the

Crafting and Barbies

 Two fundamental things about me:  I have had Barbie dolls since before I was two years old. They were a stable part of my childhood long past the age many kids played with dolls. I grew up doing crafts. My mom and grandma taught me to cross stitch, needlepoint, and knit (although I have long ago forgotten that particular craft). I don't sit still and if I'm watching TV there's a good chance I have a needle and a project in my lap. ( okay, let's be honest, it's 2023, there are definite evenings it's a mindless puzzle game on my tablet. ) Which means that while I have extra time on my hands I took the opportunity to combine those two aspects and created two Barbie cross stitch patterns this fall Both projects are smaller than 4" square and are perfect for a crafter who has never done cross stitch. They're simple and can be finished in a short amount of time. But they also are quintissential to today's Barbie love and the resurgence of attention becau