Skip to main content

Nostalgic for Nostalgia

 I think about nostalgia a lot. Not in some weird personal way. Instead nostalgia defines a lot of the work I have done academically. My book about mixtapes is defined exclusively as a cultural examination of how nostalgia has been used as a marketing tool, gimmick, and genuine emotional pull to continue to reinforce a love of analog technology.


Lately I have started thinking more and more about the role of nostalgia when considering Barbie fandom. The movie has definitely played into that consideration. There are two facets to the Barbie movie last year: you can buy Ken in a ridiculous fur coat and the Margot Robbie Barbie doll. 


But there is also a resurgence of interest in the Barbie items from the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. I was shocked to discover that the Barbie outfits I have had in a plastic bin in the basement or garage for the past 30 years are notable to current collectors. I posted some of my well-loved, far-from-pristine-condition Barbies on eBay and they were snatched up almost immediately.  Roller-skating Ken from a previous post has found a new home, hopefully in a place of Pride (Yes, double entendre fully intended).

A friend (who knows who she is 💜😃 ) helped me sort and label many of the Barbie outfits I still had in my collection. While I will never part with the 1959-63 outfits, I am willing to pass along some of the 1970s and 80s outfits to collectors who will enjoy and display them. Looking at these outfits is personally nostalgic - I remember dressing Barbie in these outfits as a little girl. But looking at them today, they are most intriguing to me as symbols of American women's fashion in the 1970s. 

The American Revolution dress above?? I mean really? What was the explanation for that dress? Sorta Colonial, but really?

And this one SCREAMS Solid Gold/Studio 54 to me:


This one reminds me of my childhood neighbors who were the quintissential hippies of the early 1970s. They introduced me to carob chips and had cousins who lived in a commune in the mountains:

This dress reminds me of the early 1980s variety shows with Diana Ross, Carol Burnett, or Cher. High fashion, but not red carpet fashion:

And finally this dress. I don't know. It's just so of its time. Not any particular show or person, but it is absolutely reminiscent of the late-70s/early 80s - albeit not in any practical way I would've seen in real life. 

At the end of the day, the reason all of these dresses (and yes, they are all dresses) are in pristine condition is because that is not what Barbie usually wore when I played with her. My Barbies climbed mountains, flew airplanes, worked at McDonalds and the fashion store. They were not icons of fashion in impractical evening dresses, they were working women interacting with other working women. Sometimes there were fashion shows - I was a little girl in the 70s/80s. 

The nostalgia for Barbie is for me a reminiscence of my childhood. Sitting on the floor with my grandma, my dad, or my friends acting out real, normal, every day life. I hope that whoever ends up with these outfits can love and appreciate them. And maybe put together a Solid Gold reunion complete with Cher, Diana Ross, and the fabulous dancing team I watched on TV while surrounded by my dolls. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Ken-in-Roller-Skates Years Old

 This weekend a friend and I went through the clothes and the dolls that I played with as a kid (and she has an amazing memory on the clothes. This website is quite the resource if you're interested: BarbieWorld.it  ). I had A LOT of Barbies and accessories. There was the Barbie pool, the piano, the three-story townhouse. I had an RV, an airplane, and a boat. And then there were the dolls themselves. Yes, I had lots of Barbies but there were also Skippers and Midges and Christies. But today, we have to talk about Ken. This is my first Ken Doll: Roller Skating Ken c.1980. The short tight shorts, the shiny purple jacket, the Addidas style roller skates. He's so retro, what's not to love? I can't pretend to remember why six-year old me needed a Ken doll at that point. I was never as gung-ho about the guys because for me Barbie was about Fashion shows and climbing mountains, and sleepovers. But there were definitely days Ken was part of their entourage. I didn't have Ro

Barbie as Iconic Musician

 It has been in the news recently that Mattel has released Barbie as Mariah Carey and as Stevie Nicks. Both of these dolls continue a long tradition of recreating Barbie as iconic stars who will appeal to kids, to the parents who buy dolls for their kids, and to adult collectors. For what it's worth, both dolls are currently sold out on Amazon and already listed (as of November 17) on eBay for $150. The collector's market and upsale of collectibles is alive and well. This series of dolls is intended to represent role models as well as fashion icons. I have to say, this line of dolls has never appealed to me over much. There is nothing wrong with them, but I have always gotten Barbies that were not "Mattel-style-doll-recreated-to-resemble(ish)-someone-famous." When I was looking through my collection in storage last week I came across two other iconic Barbie recreations from 25 years ago. Barbie Loves Frank Sinatra and Barbie Loves Elvis. In both of these Box Sets the

Crafting and Barbies

 Two fundamental things about me:  I have had Barbie dolls since before I was two years old. They were a stable part of my childhood long past the age many kids played with dolls. I grew up doing crafts. My mom and grandma taught me to cross stitch, needlepoint, and knit (although I have long ago forgotten that particular craft). I don't sit still and if I'm watching TV there's a good chance I have a needle and a project in my lap. ( okay, let's be honest, it's 2023, there are definite evenings it's a mindless puzzle game on my tablet. ) Which means that while I have extra time on my hands I took the opportunity to combine those two aspects and created two Barbie cross stitch patterns this fall Both projects are smaller than 4" square and are perfect for a crafter who has never done cross stitch. They're simple and can be finished in a short amount of time. But they also are quintissential to today's Barbie love and the resurgence of attention becau